czwartek, 27 sierpnia 2009

The day I bought my hemba

I didn't brought any CDs, I brought, however, small African sculpture, hemba statue. Purchase of it has its beginning during my trip to Paris. I bought a small hemba in Louvre, as a souvenir from my journey to Paris. You can see it on the photo below, among other items every of each symbolizes one of us, EP Library trainees 2008.


It's quite popular artifact. You'll find at least few of them in every single African shop in Brussels. In the biggest shops there are really many of them, very diverse. It's amazing, some of them seem to be inspired by a work of western artists from the XX century. I found one which enthralled me completely. Proportions of it were unusual. Normally hembas are slim and this one was short with big belly. What made me fall in love with it was however something else, its lips. They're enormously large. Usually hembas have mouth hardly outlined mouth. This one is really unique.

It cost 150 euros. Normally I wouldn't think of buying so expensive item only to fulfill my esthetic needs, only for a pleasure. But it happened that summer sale took place that week and every item in that shop was selling with 50% discount. It was great opportunity, especially that I could effort expense of 70 euros. On the other hand my departure was approaching and every cent was important to me. I had a tough nut to crack...

I had no idea how I would manage to take to the plane but I finally bought it. I remember asking Agnes for advice. She was amazing. If you ask her for an advice you can be sure she will consider the issue carefully and will give balanced opinion. At first she was skeptical. She thought it's not good idea to buy African artifacts in Belgium, she believed one should buy them when going to Africa. However, when Marta and I convicted her that Brussels is not only the capital city of Belgium and Europe but it may also be easily considered as capital city of Africa in Europe, she took my dilemma into consideration and she gave me the answer that fully satisfied me. ;-) Not all of my doubts were gone but it's always better to regret eventually things that we did than the ones that we abandoned to do.

My hemba is covered with African dust, I've never cleared it out. It has spider web between legs and his privates, and he has some holes made by woodworm. Its color is different than the photos show, it's dark brown. It smelled very intensively for a long time. I liked to think it was a smell of Africa. I packed him with wrap and towels on it to avoid any damage during the flight. Every time I was drying myself with those towels later I could smell it very clearly. I enjoyed that sensation very much.




So here we are - me and my hemba, both homeless. It's not smart move to have children when you are homeless. And buoying art objects once you have no place to expose them is profanation of art.

I recall that day, the day of buying my hemba, with all the details. That day I saw Jaana for the last time. We went to the park. She was talkative, full of warmness but at that point I was not able to feel fine anymore. It was very close to departure. I knew I won't see Jan anymore and it disturbed me. I was angry, agitated. I asked a waiter for Pepsi with ice and he brought me one with no ice. I asked him to take it back. I never do such things. Usually I make remark that it's not what I ordered so he would know he doesn't do his job well but I take what he prepared since I don't feel comfortable causing other people troubles.

There was a time I regretted I didn't buy also Tibetan dorje (vajra). There was a shop in Brussels where one can buy the authentic one. It cost about 200 euros so there was no way for me to buy it but still I felt uncomfortable not having it. It made my heart beating faster every time I saw it. It was the first time in my life I could see such artifact. My regret is gone now thanks to friend of mine, Rafael. He employed quite effective therapy on that subject. He made me realize that bringing item like that to Europe probably cost lives or wellbeing of some Tibetans. That's likely and it made me not to want it anymore. But it also made me wonder if my hemba didn't come do Europe by burning some Congo village to the ground...

I bought imitation of dorje when I went with Marta to Antwerp. I never make photos, I always bring souvenirs from my trips.

Brak komentarzy: