środa, 26 sierpnia 2009

Brussels by Night with a cup of neuhaus chocolate

I tried to cheer myself up every now and then with a cup of neuhaus chocolate which I brought from Belgium. I enjoyed everything that brought me closer to Brussels. I had no intention to cut my addiction off even though it was, as every dependency, destroying for myself. Keeping contact with people I've met there was however too harmful, I hadn't enough strength to do it. I was making attempt every time I felt stronger, I felt being ready but eventually those attempts made me always much more depressed so I avoided it. Besides girls didn't experience difficulties as myself and even though they stopped writing eventually too. Humans.

I've finally find the courage to watch "Brussels by Night" that I bought in BOZAR Shop. Great movie and fortunately not very much about Brussels. As I could find out later by watching the interview with the director, the title was coincidental.



The movie that made much greater impression on me was "In the City of Sylvia" by José Luis Guerín. The city mentioned in the title is Strasbourg. Very poetic movie, almost like a fairytale. It hardly might be called masterpiece but in my subjective reception it was absolutely brilliant. It's absolute affirmation of life. It's also real pearl for photo lovers. If you like Strasbourg you have to watch it. Oh, it was great discover! What main character does is also my prime activity, except for drawing. I'm also fascinated with people and cities. Observing them and taking pleasure from it is one of my most basic reasons to live.



The movie should be watched in cinema. I'm convinced it has much more impact when showing on big screen. In case you'll encounter difficulties getting it, let me know, I would gladly share.

It's interesting clash because the other movie from that period that became embedded in my memory tells about stagnation and resignation rather than joyfulness of life. However it ends with bright spark too. It's titled "The Visitor" and was directed by Thomas McCarthy. In case you're convinced American can not do good movies, you should watch it. I'm quite sure you'll change your mind. It proofs good American cinema didn't finish at eighties.



I perceive the main character as counterpart of mine. Academic teacher in stagnation still open however to discover new aspects of life and meet new people, very different from himself. It moved me strongly however I wasn't convinced with the final, I didn't believe it. Maybe because I just don't see the right place for myself, I didn't discover the right path in my own life yet. I would gladly get to know your opinion.

Thanks to "The Visitor" I discovered the music of Fela Kuti, great African musician.



African music is everywhere in Brussels. I regret I didn't buy any CDs. One of very few things I regret.

Brak komentarzy: